Calling All Adult Leaders
International Opportunities in GLK
International opportunities enable members to try new experiences, meet new friends from across the world, challenge themselves, be challenged and put their promise into action. It is a very important aspect of Guiding. We run a selection event for participants each year and select groups of girls for a range of opportunities. This year we are considering the following:
- A trip to a European international camp – Summer 2016
- A trip further afield – destination not yet decided as we are considering a few different options; possibly a jamboree, perhaps a service project – Summer 2016
- Trips are arranged to coincide with appropriate events and school holidays.
Please note that the details of all these trips are to be confirmed and will be made available when leaders have been selected and destinations confirmed. Girl-led Guiding is at the heart of international trips and the participants will pay a full part in decision-making and helping to organise aspects of the trip. A Guiding trip is not like a school trip, in that you will not be presented with a full itinerary at the outset, as this will be developed with the input of the group.
Leaders are expected to contribute the same amount to a trip as the participants, so how much does an international trip cost? It is impossible to say at this point. There are many factors which impact cost, including:
- Destination and flight availability / travel options
- ‘in country’ costs (which can vary considerably)
- Other activities the group may choose to do whilst abroad
- Type of project (e.g. service project, international camp etc.)
- If selected for an international opportunity with GLK County, leaders are eligible to seek financial support from grant-giving bodies as well as County and other Guiding sources
- Fundraising is an important component of any international opportunity and leaders and participants will be given guidance on this. It is hard work, but support is available.
- Units may be willing to help with fundraising activities and there is always the possibility of group fundraising.
Commitment / Expectation
If a place is offered, it is expected that participants and leaders will commit fully to the preparation phase of the project and to the project itself. This means:
- Responding promptly to all communications
- Taking responsibility for some aspects of the planning and delivery of the trip.
- Organising and attending preparation events (likely to be three residential weekends for County trips) – dates of training events are coordinated by the leadership teams when they have been formed.
- Meeting the payment schedule (which will be issued in the preparation phase) – leaders are expected to pay the same costs as all other participants.
Where do I send completed application form?
Click here for the Application form >> GLK Leader Application form
Either e-mail the above completed form to [email protected] or send by post to: Helen Candy, GLK International Advisor, 12 Forde Avenue, Bromley, BR1 3EX no later than June 1st 2015.
Girlguiding Greater London Kent County International Adviser
To download the above information, please click here >> International Opportunities in GLK – leaders