The County Walking Adviser
The role of the walking adviser is to provide support and advice on all aspects of walking and walking related activities.
The walking adviser provides encouragement, information, opportunity and experience to enable leaders to get members out and about, both in their own locality and further afield, by:
- Providing access to training in walking knowledge and skills including map reading, navigation, clothing, equipment, safety, leadership, party management, safety and countryside access, and supporting leaders in passing these skills on to rainbows, brownies, guides and senior section members
- Providing opportunity for leaders to extend their own walking experience and develop confidence in leading walks.
- Suggesting appropriate walking areas and routes for different sections and ideas for activities to make walking adventurous, challenging and fun.
- Explaining and clarifying Girlguiding UK’s walking rules.
- Providing information and support to leaders in gaining The Guide Association Walking Safely Qualification.
- Supporting units, districts, divisions and the county in organising challenge walks and other walk based activities and challenges.